Given that it is that time of year again, my husband asked if I would bake a batch of pumpkin cupcakes for him. However, his new request was for a different frosting than I had used last time. His suggestion this round was for a maple frosting like he had seen at a coffee shop and was craving. Well, after a few tries at the frosting, I think we found a winner! I stuck with the same recipe I’ve used before for the cake, and I’m still a huge fan of using the gluten free yellow cake mixes. There’s no thinking involved in figuring out flour combinations so take advantage of it when you can!
Pumpkin Spice Cake:
- 1 box yellow cake mix (gluten free of course!)
- 1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 15 oz. pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 ½ tsp vanilla extract
If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice on hand you can mix up a batch of your own! This will make 7 tsp of pumpkin pie spice so you will have a bit left over to use later!
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line pans with your favorite cupcake liners
- Mix together cake mix, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon and set aside
- In a large bowl, mix pumpkin, eggs, oil and vanilla extract until smooth
- Add cake mix/spice mixture slowly
- Fill cupcake liners to ¾ full and bake for 18-20 minutes. Keep a close eye on them though after 15 minutes to make sure they don’t burn!
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting!
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened (and no cheating with low fat versions here!)
- 3 cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup softened butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½-¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 oz heavy whipping cream
- Beat cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar until smooth
- Add cinnamon, vanilla, and maple syrup
- Slowly add in heavy cream and continue to beat until stiff peaks begin to form
- Pipe onto cupcakes and enjoy!