In case you’re not familiar with tiramisu, it is a popular Italian dessert. It is traditionally coffee-flavored, made with ladyfingers dipped in coffee between layers of mascarpone cheese and sugar with chocolate. Tiramisu literally translates as “pick me up”. How perfect is that? Now, lady fingers aren’t generally gluten free unless you search really hard for them and, to be honest, I prefer cupcakes to traditional tiramisu cake. The recipe is fairly straightforward, so don’t let the multiple steps scare you off! You’ll thank me later!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs + 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 3 cups gluten free flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 packets instant coffee
- 8oz mascarpone
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp strong coffee (you can make your own strong coffee, but I usually add 1/2 cup hot water with 1 packet of instant coffee)
Combine ingredients until well mixed, do not over blend. (Now, feel free to make extra filling- it’s great to stuff in strawberries or ummm lick the bowl)
Cream cheese frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- Using a whisk, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Add cream and beat until beaks form. Unless you have crazy strong arms, I’d use a mixer for this step!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line pan with cupcake liners
- In a large bowl, cream butter, oil and sugar
- Add egg whites, egg, and oil.
- Sift dry ingredients
- Slowly add half of the dry ingredients to wet ingredients
- Add buttermilk and vanilla
- Combine the remainder of the dry ingredients
- Fill cupcake liners with batter until about ¾ full
- Bake for 16-18 minutes until slightly golden
- Allow to cool completely
- Scoop out the center of the cupcakes. I usually use a knife and cut out a cone shaped center. You can use those fancy gadgets to core cupcakes but this is the easiest way!
- Add filling to cupcakes to fill the hole you just removed
- Top with frosting
- If you want to be fancy, sprinkle cocoa powder over top of cupcakes or use chocolate shavings. You can use a Hershey bar and a knife to make shavings. Best part? You can eat the rest of the bar later!