Given that it is fall and pumpkins are super yummy, here is my favorite recipe for pumpkin cupcakes. Now I’m a huge fan of not reinventing the wheel. Betty Crocker makes a fabulous gluten free cake mix which I love to “fancy up” depending on the season! Why struggle with mixing different flours when you don’t have to!?!? Thanks Betty!
Pumpkin Spice Cake:
- 1 box yellow cake mix (gluten free of course!)
- 1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 15 oz. pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 ½ tsp vanilla extract
If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice on hand you can mix up a batch of your own! This will make 7 tsp of pumpkin pie spice so you will have a bit left over to use later!
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line pans with your favorite cupcake liners
- Mix together cake mix, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon and set aside
- In a large bowl, mix pumpkin, eggs, oil and vanilla extract until smooth
- Add cake mix/spice mixture slowly
- Fill cupcake liners to ¾ full and bake for 18-20 minutes. Keep a close eye on them though after 15 minutes to make sure they don’t burn!
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting!
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened (and no cheating with low fat versions here!)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 oz heavy whipping cream
- Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth
- Slowly add vanilla and continue to beat mixture
- Slowly add in heavy cream and continue to beat until stiff peaks begin to form
- Pipe onto cupcakes and enjoy!