I think it is fair to say that my husband has a bit of a sweet tooth. I tried a new recipe for a gluten free blueberry cake a few weeks ago and, apparently, it was so good that my husband actually asked me to make it again for him- gluten free and all. Yeah, my kitchen is pretty much 90% gluten free, but occasionally I do make gluten containing foods more so if we are entertaining and well, I’m on a budget. Granted it also helps with my diet because I’m not tempted to eat those yummy treats either! However, this cake works wonderfully gluten free! Oh and I should warn you- the frosting is addictive. I had made a bit extra last time I made this cake and it didn’t go to waste! (It was great on fruit, but straight off the spoon was amazing too!)
Lemon-Blueberry Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 cups gluten free flour (our favorite is Namaste Perfect Blend)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- Zest from ½ lemon
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tsp lemon extract
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Butter two 9 inch round baking pans and dust lightly with flour
- In a large mixing bowl, add gluten free flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir until well blended.
- Combine milk, sour cream, and lemon juice in a small bowl and allow to rest.
- In a separate large bowl, combine butter, sugar, and lemon zest until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, into the butter mixture. Once well incorporated, add the lemon and vanilla extracts.
- Add half of the flour mixture and half of the milk. Repeat with the other half of the flour mixture and milk until well combined.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Divide batter into the two baking pans.
- Bake approximately 25 minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean)
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes before inverting onto a rack to finish cooling.
- Frost with lemon cream cheese frosting.
- 16 oz cream cheese (2 packages)
- 1 ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 4 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Using an electric mixer or a hand mixer, whip butter until fluffy.
- Add cream cheese and continue to whip until well blended.
- Add vanilla extract, lemon extract, and powdered sugar and blend until fluffy (this may take a bit so don’t be surprised if you’re still at it after a few minutes!
- Frost cake.
- Lick bowl. Seriously. It’s delicious.